Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Color Me Emerald!

These days, it seems as though everyone is donning radical nail designs. Celebrities (not just Gaga!), fashion bloggers, teens and even adults are trading in solid colored nails for psychedelic prints and patterns. Stripes, polka dots, color block, confetti, animal print, floral…the list goes on. You name it, it’s probably been done! Although this trend has been prevalent for years, I’ve especially noticed it lately. Guides on how to replicate runway nail art continue to pop up on blogs and in fashion/beauty magazines. While some nail designs are cute and artsy (or just plain gutsy!), a lot of times they come across as borderline tacky. With the exception of the latest fad in nail art (nail polish that shatters/crackles when painted over dry nail lacquer), I’ve never been a fan of having doodles or motifs on my nails.

If new products on the market are any indication of the rising popularity of nail art, then this phenomenon is just getting started. Now brands such as Sally Hansen have even come out with stickers (aka “Real Nail Polish Strips”) that you can apply to your nails. No mess, no dry time - this will surely convince more consumers to add some zing to their nails.

While Olivia Palermo sticks with her signature red polish (which suits her well!), I’m quite the color chameleon. Jumping around from metallic shades of turquoise and silver to bright hues such as bubblegum pink and sky blue, I’m always trying new colors. While I’m not one to shy away from a sparkly lacquer, I must admit that my favorite nail polish shades tend to be more basic, everyday colors. Practicality is key.

Along the way, I’ve had my fair share of hits and misses. While I won’t bore you with my flops, I do want to share one color that I am especially fond of right now: Revlon Top Speed’s Emerald (#330)! Not only am I in love with the shade, but I am also pleased with the nail polish’s consistency. Unlike some polishes, it doesn’t leave any of those pesky air bubbles. And because it’s “Top Speed,” I also didn’t have to wait hours for it to dry (so nice!) After receiving compliments on the color and hearing how well it suited me, I knew that it was a keeper! Subtle, but bold at the same time – just the effect that I’m after!



Emerald is chic, elegant, bold…definitely the it-color right now!


Emerald nail polish - ooh-la-la! The perfect complement to my favorite Kate Spade ring.



Bottom Line:
For those of you who haven’t completely gone nail art crazy, Emerald is a must!

Not only do I foresee emerald making it big in terms of nail polish colors, but I also see it leaving a lasting impression in the fashion world this fall! As seen in runway shows and at my favorite stores, variations of emerald are making headlines everywhere!


Alice and Olivia Tita Layered Slip Dress- $297


Runway images via Style.com: Diane von Furstenberg, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Sonia Rykiel


Dresses: Rebecca Taylor Flirt with Me Dress- $375, Nina Ricci Pleated Dress- $2,390, Lanvin Asymmetric Silk-Satin Dress- $2,390


Bags: Diane von Furstenberg Addison Embossed Ostrich Tote- $495, Prada Nappa Antique Tote- $2,295


Shoes: Jimmy Choo Strappy Suede Sandals- $750, Dolce and Gabbana Patent Leather Pumps- $575


What’s your go-to color nail polish color?

Yay or Nay: Is nail art cute or tacky?

No comments:

Post a Comment