Thursday, November 24, 2011

Winter Wardrobe Staple: Tights

Two outfits, two exceptionally fun pairs of tights. Although the temperatures thus far haven’t been too horrid, it’s cold enough now that skirts and bare legs are a no-go. (Tragic, I know!) Being the girly-girl that I am, skirts and dresses are a regular fixation in my wardrobe rotation. Since wearing jeans on a daily basis simply isn’t an option, I must turn to some form of chic leg wear to keep me cozy (hence, comes in tights!). From opaque black to floral and leopard print, I have quite the collection of tights.

With tights being a winter wardrobe staple, I always stock up on them during the summer months when they’re on clearance. Instead of spending $10+ on a pair of tights, it’s so much more practical to pay $2+ (or sometimes less!). Since tights obviously don’t last forever, and are bound to get snags and runs, there’s no reason to splurge.

As I promised earlier in the week, here are a few of my most recent outfits!


Jacket from Kohl’s (ELLE), sweater from Ruehl, skirt from Urban Outfitters (Silence & Noise), tights by Hue, shoes by Dolce Vita

When it comes to styling ensembles, I am all about color coordination. While I could have easily worn a pair of black tights with this outfit, I knew that I wanted something a bit more eye-catching. Leaving black behind, I channeled my inner Peter Pan and went for green ones instead. Hunter green and deep purple look fantastic when worn together. Because both colors are of the same tint, they complement each other quite well. To prevent my ensemble from becoming discordant, I donned a black motorcycle-cut jacket and kept my shoes neutral. For some pizzazz, I finished off with one of my favorite statement necklaces and a mega-sized ring.


Cardigan from Club Monaco, dress by Leifsdottir, pearls from Forever 21

Last Friday, I went for a “girls just want to have fun” look. Complete with pearls, eclectic tights and tough, biker-esque boots, this outfit is as edgy and crazy as it gets for me. Maintaining my classy and sophisticated style, I wore my favorite black dress and long Club Monaco cardigan. In place of my usual pair of bow-adorned ballet flats, however, I opted for chunky, lace-up boots.

To keep your style fresh, sometimes you have to go for the unexpected. Instead of always dressing ultra-feminine, bohemian or punk, why not wear something outside of your comfort zone? It can be as little as trying a different skirt length or as drastic as trading in your Chanel tweed jacket for a daring leather one. The point is, experimenting with fashion is fun. I loved wearing this outfit and totally embraced it!

Tights from Target (Xhilaration), socks from J.Crew, boots from Urban Outfitters

When I saw this floral pair of tights at Target, I thought that they were super cute and knew instantly I had to have them. Because they are cropped (which I can’t stand…), I decided to layer sparkly white socks on top. Maybe it’s just me, but cropped tights are so unconventional. The purpose of tights is to keep my legs nice and cozy (and cute!), not to expose them to the frigid air. Nonetheless, I am happy with how chic and effortless my outfit turned out.

For the variety of tights that this season has to offer, check out my latest article, “Tights Galore: Lace, Fair Isle, Leopard and More!” posted on College Gloss.

Which tights are you looking to add to your collection this season?
What’s your favorite way to style tights?

No comments:

Post a Comment