Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You Need This: The Striped Tee

For my first post, I have decided to share my newly found love for the striped tee. Opening up this e-mail from Intermix, a high-end boutique and online store, I was immediately filled with excitement. While I admit striped shirts have never been my favorite, I now see them as a wardrobe staple.

In fashion, attention to detail is essential. Whether it is a simple embellishment or a slight alteration in the silhouette, details are what truly make a piece of clothing distinct. When shopping for clothes, I am definitely drawn to pieces that are unique and reflective of my personal style. My favorite designers are the ones who transform monotonous trends into ones that are fresh and innovative.

After browsing online, I came across dozens of variations of the striped t-shirt. All of the shirts that I selected below are unique in some way.


What initially attracted me to this Sonia by Sonia Rykiel long-sleeved t-shirt (left) is the ruffled hem found along the bottom. I love how the addition of ruffles with dynamic lines completely transforms what would otherwise have been a simple shirt.

This striped ¾ sleeve tee by Michael Stars (right) is another great option. Michael Stars’ tees are truly amazing. Created from the softest fabrics and designed in a variety of silhouettes, these shirts are great investment pieces. My favorite thing about this tee is the pocket and cropped length. With skinny black stripes set against the white of the tee shirt, it appears both classic and effortless at the same time.

Not only is this shirt from Forever 21 (left) incredibly affordable, but it is also conventional. With ruffled sleeves, it would look great tucked into a skirt or paired with jeans.

Topshop's (right) short-sleeved tee is fun, girly, and chic all at the same time. I like how the huge, black silk bow on the shoulder conveys a level of sophistication that cannot be found with the traditional striped tee.

Since the store Anthropologie had a tremendous selection of distinct striped shirts, I decided to feature a few of my favorites.

I was instantly drawn to this striped tank by Little Yellow Button (left) for its artistic detail. With green fringed appliqués made from felt, this tank exudes a very polished look. I especially love how the fabric gathers at the waist, creating a drapery effect.

While this tee by one.september (center) is fairly plain, it is refreshing to see the elaborate scrunching detail on the front with small hints of gold embroidery.

Also by Little Yellow Button is this adorable tee reminiscent of the character Blair Waldorf from the television show Gossip Girl. Adorned with delicate ivory blooms, I find this shirt absolutely irresistible. Though obviously a very feminine shirt, the zigzag stripes also make it very structured. While the contrast between the frilliness of the flowers and the bold zigzag stripes is unexpected, it definitely works.

This shirt by Gryphon (left) is one of my favorites. With a cropped length and attached golden star necklace, it was incredibly easy for me to fall in love with this top. It also contains thin, imperfectly painted black stripes that set it apart from similar shirts. The gold necklace and shoulder buttons contrast the white tone of the shirt to achieve a high level of sophistication.

In terms of high-fashion, I adore the late Alexander McQueen’s version of the striped shirt (right). Slightly oversized with solid and printed patches, McQueen’s tee is like no other. The mixing of prints and sparse use of violet is what makes this tee so visually appealing. Though the patches are random, they complement the top’s silhouette and large stripes. With his avant-garde design, McQueen redefines what the striped tee should be.

Finally, Topshop shows how versatile stripes can be with their striped tank featuring a “rock couple graphic.” Though far too edgy for my wardrobe, I definitely could see this tank top under a leather jacket with a pair of skinny leg jeans.

With so many options, I am ready to embrace the stripe trend that I once readily ignored. As the designer Marc Jacobs proves in his Spring 2010 Runway show, one should not be afraid to pair mismatched prints together in one ensemble.

2 comments:

  1. I love your topic!

    I like reading about fashion and what people's thoughts and what's in.

    I liked this post all about striped tops. I definitely think you should continue with this. Like each post being about one item you feel girls need in their wardrobe or something like that.

    I will definitely been an avid reader of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have a distinct voice and do your homework when it comes to brands, designers, stores, and lines. Instead of the traditional stores that most would suggest (american eagle, abercrombie, hollister, etc.) you offer the reader new, fresh, and exciting outlet for their fashion passion. However, I would be aware of other cites out there that are similar to your style. What can you offer your followers that cannot be found anywhere else? I think a distinct, more focused angle could help you stand out and be a more unique voice.

    ReplyDelete