Monday, October 3, 2011

The Art of Dressing in Layers

It’s finally fall! Although I’m looking forward to crazy tights in a rainbow of hues and attention-getting prints, lightweight scarves, chunky knit sweaters, boots and so much more, I am a little sad to be leaving my summer clothes behind. Since it’s still early October (and there will surely be some warm days ahead), I don’t have to give up my summertime faves just yet. Phew!

Two things that I do love about this season: fall color palette and LOTS of layering! ‘Tis the season to wear tights with denim shorts, thick socks with boots, and cozy cardigans over floral dresses. Getting excited yet? I know I am! Though the outfit I’m featuring in this post is from a few weeks ago, it’s actually a perfect fall ensemble.


Cardigan from Anthropologie, top from Blaumax, skirt from Banana Republic

Pale pink + light brown + navy blue stripes make for a fall-tastic ensemble. A long cardigan with cascading layers is über-feminine and great for layering. When layering cardigans over long sleeved shirts, fold the sleeve over for a cute accent. My brown shirt just so happened to match perfectly with the brown trim on my cardigan. It was meant to be!


Stripes are every girl’s best friend! I can’t express how much I enjoyed wearing this striped, tiered skirt. The fabric is lightweight and the length is perfect. With navy blue and white stripes, this skirt is as traditional and classy as it gets.


And of course my rings…while I don’t remember where the diamond stud ring is from, the flower one is à la a jewelry store in Vienna. With my entire ensemble being girly, my flower ring fit right in!


Shoes by Tahari (from T.J. Maxx)

Ohhhhh, how nice it felt to trade in my flats for a pair of heels! While wearing heels isn’t practical on an everyday basis in college (I wish it was!), you should certainly work them into your wardrobe every once in a while. It had been so long since I donned heels that I forgot how much I enjoyed wearing them. As for the click-clack, click-clack sound of my heels hitting the tiled floors…yeah, I totally missed that too! Adding 2-inches to my height and elongating my legs, they will be worked into my ensembles more often!


Bag by Coach- I’ve always loved the contrast of white and dark brown leather found in this bag. My only complaint is that it’s not big enough to stuff all my necessities (i.e. sunglasses, makeup, wallet, gum, iPod, phone, etc.). Nonetheless, it’s still a classy bag ideal for dress-up days.


What fall trends are you most looking forward to?

Have you heard, Jason Wu is doing a collection for Target! What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment